Non perishable food is often thought of as strictly a convenience item. And it certainly is! If there is a severe storm and you cannot get to a store, for example, having non perishable food on hand can get you through. However, we often connect “fresh” with “healthy.” Something that doesn’t go bad (or at least not for a long time) can’t be good for you. Right? Well, sure, if you’re talking about Twinkies. You might be surprised to learn that there are plenty of healthy non perishable food choices out there!
Why You Should Stock Up on Healthy Non Perishable Food Items
First, though, why is it important to have a supply of non perishable food items? As mentioned, they are handy when there is an emergency or critical situation, and you cannot get to a grocery store. Additionally:
- They are convenient. Non perishables are great for busy parents, campers, hikers, people on a budget… they don’t require refrigeration, and you can often buy in bulk to cut costs. Storage is as easy as putting the items in a pantry, closet, utility room, in your pack, etc.
- They save time. If you’re hiking or on the go with the kids, for example, just take some all-natural Sweetwood Smokehouse FATTY meat sticks out of your pack, purse, or glove compartment. They’ll keep you full and satisfied, while providing plenty of protein power.
- There are healthy options. No, not all non perishables are nutritious – but there are plenty of options that have protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
So what are the healthiest non perishable foods out there? Our top picks:
- Meat Snacks
- Bottled Water
- Trail Mix
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Vegetables (low or no sodium)
- Canned Fruit (no or low sugar)
- Canned Soups (low or no sodium)
- Granola Bars
- Dried Pasta
- Dried and/or Canned Beans
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Tomatoes
- Powdered Milk
With plenty of protein (up to 18 grams per package!) Sweetwood’s Beef Jerky and Steak Bites are among the healthiest non perishable foods available for snacking. And with different flavors to choose from, including Original, Peppered, Teriyaki, and Sweet & Hot, you can add some variety to your non perishable food stash, which is important whether you’re on a long hike or weathering a big storm.
Next time you shop, keep this list in mind so you can add a number of healthy non perishable food items to your pantry. You’ll build up a nutritious inventory of foods ready to enjoy whether you’re on the go or holed up at home! You know what – why wait until next time? Shop now >>