If you’ve done your research and talked with your doctor, keto may be the right fit for you. The keto lifestyle and eating habits is extremely popular, and as always, the key to success is consistency and learning which foods to incorporate into your daily routine. But if you’re like us, you have one question on your mind: can you still eat beef jerky on keto?! Let’s learn more about this lifestyle – and the best beef jerky for keto!
What Is the Keto Diet?
Your best friend does keto, your uncle does keto, your boss does keto, that kid who sat behind you in algebra back in high school does keto…. This is certainly one of the buzziest diets (though, as adherents are quick to point out, it is not a diet but a lifestyle!), and the vast majority of people say they made the choice to follow the keto diet out of a desire to lose weight. Improving health comes in at number two. Whatever your reasons, following this type of eating plan can be tricky at first. But once you learn the ins and outs… you’ll find yourself enjoying some delicious foods.
The keto diet is a style of eating in which you consume high amounts of fat, a moderate amount of protein, and a very restricted number of carbohydrates. A common ratio is: 75/20/5. Five percent carbs – compared to about 50 – 65% for the average American! It certainly is a big change for many of us.
However, a big change may be just what you need. After following this plan for a few days, you enter ketosis. That is, your body has shifted from using carbs for energy to using fat. Instead of releasing insulin, your body releases ketones. These ketones provide energy to both your body and your brain.
Note: The amount of carbs you can consume while still achieving and maintaining ketosis varies greatly from individual to individual. Some people may be in ketosis with 40 grams a day, while others can eat much more and maintain that state.
Many people do not realize that doctors have been using the keto diet as a treatment for about 100 years – for epilepsy in children. This diet has been proven to reduce the number of seizures and, in 10 – 15% of cases, eliminate them completely. But as far as a weight loss or diabetes-management tool, the scientific jury is still out.
However, it does appear that keto is good for people who want to lose weight and manage their blood sugar levels. Another benefit of cutting out simple carbs is that you often cut out excess sugar and other ingredients that can be harmful, and many people on the keto diet report feeling more energized and less hungry throughout the day.
What Does the Science Say?
Some skeptics think keto is just the latest diet fad. But research has uncovered some very interesting results:
- Keto helps people lose weight: in fact, it is vastly superior to recommended low-fat diets.
- People on keto lose 2.2 times more weight than those on diets that restrict calories.
- This style of eating is filling and satisfying, so you can stop counting calories.
- Keto diets help lower triglyceride and HDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
- The diet can improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar.
- People with diabetes and pre-diabetes have seen phenomenal results when following the keto diet; many are able to stop medication!
Different Twists on the Keto Diet
Every body is different, and there’s likely a keto diet out there for you:
- Standard Keto. Very low carb, very high fat, and moderate protein. This is the classic keto we mentioned earlier with a ratio of 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs.
- Cyclical Keto. With the cyclical approach, you have higher carb “refeeds.” For example, you might do 5 keto days with 2 high-carb days.
- Targeted Keto: Here, you can add in carbs depending on your workouts.
- High-Protein Keto: You still keep carbs at about 5%, but you boost the protein and lower the fat a bit: 60% fat and 35% protein is a standard ratio.
Cyclical and targeted keto approaches are usually only used by athletes or those in training, as they are more advanced and can be difficult to balance. For most people, the standard or high-protein lifestyles are easier to maintain. As we mentioned earlier, consistency and learning which foods to stock in your fridge and pantry is critical.
Yeah, yeah, yeah… but what about beef jerky?
Beef Jerky on Keto
Can you enjoy beef jerky on keto? Yes – with a few caveats. What should you keep in mind?
There are three big factors to consider when you want to munch on some keto-friendly beef jerky:
- Fat Content. Beef jerky is often made with lean cuts, so the fat content is not high. Because it is a protein powerhouse, you can definitely include it in your eating plan. Just pair a pouch of jerky with some cheese or a handful of raw nuts. Delicious – and keto-friendly!
- Hidden Carbs. The good news (great news if you love meat) is that beef has zero carbs. But that does not mean that beef jerky is carb-free. In fact, some options are loaded with sugar – which most certainly is not carb-free! With some brands, you easily consume 12 grams of net carbs (total carbs minus fiber and some sugar alcohols), which may be edging close to or even over your daily goal, without . Plus – you’ll probably still be hungry! Save those grams for your healthy keto carbs, like kale, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and dark chocolate!
- Quality. If you want your keto diet to include jerky, choose the best. It’s not enough to eat X grams of fat, Y grams of protein, and Z grams of carbs: you need to put quality fuel into your body. Skip past options loaded with sugars, artificial ingredients, and other junk. Opt for natural hickory-smoked meat snack options from Sweetwood Smokehouse that deliver 6 grams of net carbs or fewer (and as you can see, there are plenty of flavors to explore). Sweetwood Smokehouse makes the best beef jerky for keto: 100% Grass-Fed Beef, no fake crap, and made right here in the U.S. That’s what you can expect with each and every bite.
Sweetwood 3 oz FATTY Original$80.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 3 oz FATTY Honey BBQ$80.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 3 oz FATTY Pepperoni$80.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 3 oz FATTY Teriyaki$80.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 3 oz FATTY Jalapeno$80.00 Add to cart
2 lb FATTY Pack Original$50.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 2 oz FATTY Original$60.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 2 oz FATTY Pepperoni$60.00 Add to cart
2 lb FATTY Pack Jalapeno$50.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 2 oz FATTY Jalapeno$60.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 2 oz FATTY Honey BBQ$60.00 Add to cart
Sweetwood 2 oz FATTY Teriyaki$60.00 Add to cart
2 oz FATTY 6 Pack Sampler$88.00 Add to cart
- 100% grass-fed beef
- Antibiotic-free pork
- Free-range turkey
- All-natural ingredients
- An amazing range of flavors. (Keto diets do not have to be restrictive, so enjoy a wide array of tastes!)
More Keto Diet Snacks
What are some other keto diet snacks to try?
- Nut butters
- Veggie sticks with guacamole or nut butter
- Caprese salad skewers
- Keto sushi (nori, veggies like carrots and cukes, avocado, and sushi-grade or cooked fish)
- Buffalo cauliflower bites with ranch or blue cheese to dip
- Mushrooms stuffed with ground sausage or herbed cream cheese
Fortunately, because this style of eating is so popular now, you will have no problem finding endless keto diet snacks and meal ideas. And more good news: you can eat meat snacks and beef jerky on keto – just keep an eye on the labels!
Be Creative: Keto-Friendly Beef Jerky Ideas
The beauty of natural jerky is that you can grab and go. It’s the perfect snack for busy people. But you can also integrate this delicious staple into recipes. For example, if you are craving a hot, satisfying meal, you can whip up some keto-friendly tomato sauce (when you make it yourself with whole tomatoes, you avoid all the added sugar and preservatives) and meatballs. Putting some beef jerky in the sauce adds amazing richness and flavor.
You can also crumble it on top of salad, toss it in with your roasted brussels sprouts, or use it to spice up some cauliflower fried “rice.” All of these allow you to introduce high quality protein and healthy fats into your diet. Plus it makes for something a little different on the menu!
Can a keto diet include jerky? You bet! Choose the best – and results will follow! To be safe, why not stock up on keto-friendly meat snacks now on Sweetwood.com?!